Monday, June 4, 2012

facebook woes

yesterday after a long day, i peek on facebook to see if anything is going on and to write a status about my day---

there i see my son colin's bloody toe---with a caption--"never saving a chipmunk again"-----i panic-----

of course i try to call him--no answer--i call his wife kelli--no answer-----i even send a fb message---what do you think---

okay, i may be a little paranoid about wild animals or even domesticated ones, when it comes to the possibility of rabies----of course it is deadly and there has been only one reported case of rabies that has had a human survivor------

i ask robyn to google it for me and see if chipmunks do indeed carry rabies---i knew that they probably did---but was hoping-----

i start telling my husband---"okay frank, you are going to have to tell colin that this is serious"

i preceded to tell frank to let colin know that if they did not save or catch the chipmunk then colin would undoubtedly have to undergo the series of rabies shots--no question!

frank is reluctantly agreeing and kinda getting a little scared himself i think---

phone rings, it is kelli---she is laughing-----"did you think the chipmunk bit colin's toe"---

now why would i assume such a thing---a picture of his injured toe, with a statement concerning his trying to help a chipmunk---

of course i thought the dag-gone thing had bitten my baby boy----

she continues to laugh and assures me, this did not happen---it was only as colin was trying to get the little chipmunk from his cat charlie's mouth--colin hit his toe on a bike tire-----hmmmmmmm

i am not sure i believe this and i ask kelli about 6 times, is she telling me the truth---she, between laughing, tries to promise me that she is being truthful-----she even adds how colin was so mad when he kept getting notifications on his phone, where i was either commenting on the picture, sending him a fb message or calling him----she tells me he says--"is that my crazy mom again!"---

call me crazy---i would pester him again if i thought i could save him from rabies------

moral of this story---and i know, good writing does not always have to have a moral----

don't be friends with your kids on fb---it saves on a lot of unnecessary worry and misunderstandings----not that i want to take this advice---cause for me, kinda like a car wreck---i just gotta know what's going on---i hope he doesn't defriend me after this-----it won't be the first time----haha another story for another day :)

48 comments:

  1. Well, I would have been right there with you! I'm glad it was a bike and not a chipmunk : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's okay. I would have guessed a bite too. And I'm so glad my mom isn't on Facebook. :-) I think she'd definitely worry more if she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i am choosing to believe(mostly)that they are telling me the truth---i know danielle!!

      Delete
  3. This made me LOL, not because of the injury sustained but because of the typical maternal concern. Good job you weren't my mother I was on first name terms with every nurse in every hospital within a 15 mile radius.

    I have to agree with the fb thing in a sense. I don't use it but I did discover my youngest sons blog one day. I'm still scarred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well my son knew a lot of injuries and other ahmmmm troubles--a bit of a wild child at times--don't know where he got it from---yep jp you are right about it i am sure!!

      Delete
  4. Glad he's okay. I was thinking bite, too.

    I'm filing away your "don't be friends with your kids on Facebook" warning. My kids are a little young for that now, but someday...

    Have a nice day, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious! i guess we are all crazy moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess it comes with the delivery for free--thanks judy:)

      Delete
  6. Ok the story is funny Lynn though admittedly it didnt seem like it was funny at that moment. And your son's comments after getting the notifications... Im glad he is okey though. :) definetely taking your advice about friending on fb..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it is kinda funny now that i know it was a bike! okay cecilia haha!

      Delete
  7. Okay, Lynn. This is seriously the funniest post I've read about FB. Soooo true. I agree. Family & FB should never mix. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know you're right but i can't help myself, mina---thanks!!

      Delete
  8. The visual image of a crazy, ravaged, rabies infested Chipmunk biting toes has got me rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our kids should never tease us with joke stuff like that. they don't know that we are really momma badgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i know--mine should certainly know that by now susan:)

      Delete
  10. I never friended my girls or their friends but they all friended me. LOL Now I see everything. My mother would have jumped to the same conclusion about the chipmunk. But I would have asked, "What did you do, hit your toe on something while trying to save it?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha--i wanted to think this---but the story and the picture didn't say this to me!

      Delete
  11. LOL!
    (and wouldn't it have saved you all time and worry if he'd just answered you the first time you tried to contact him!)

    I'm FB friends with my kids - it was a condition of their getting accounts since they're young. And we're all FB friends with my mom, too. It's a fun way to share photos - no bloody toes or rabies for us yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, i had to be friends with robyn when she first had hers-- if it had not been for the many photos robyn and i had posted on facebook we would have lost all of photos when our computer crashed a couple of years ago!

      Delete
  12. Hoping he doesn't un-friend you over something like that. Kids just don't think about stuff like rabies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no he hasn't--at least the last time i looked!

      Delete
  13. I love that the moral is don't be friends with your kids on facebook. Probably a great moral, a true one at least. Cute story though. I have a fear of small furry creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just don't want to touch those little creatures and i am sure they wish the same--thanks libby :)

      Delete
  14. Ha ha! I probably would've done the same thing. He should be grateful that you care ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he probably is--just likes to give me a hard time--haha thanks heather!

      Delete
  15. I wish I could un-friend most of my extended family. There are just some things I can not un-see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha ain't it the truth--i have one extended, that i cringe when her fed comes up!

      Delete
  16. Chipmunks are tricksy! Glad no biting was involved. Well, except for the cat biting the chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know--but charlie the cat is really fast--so i hope my son will not get bit the next time or ever!

      Delete
  17. Little guys like chipmunks and squirrels are more sly than anyone thinks. We use to feed the squirrels by hand when I was a kid until my mom got bit by one. She had to get a ton of needles for it.

    I wish I could un-friend my family too. I just don't want to know some things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow--did she have the rabies series--glad she was okay, i assume---i know, every once in a while i will ask one of my kids, please take this or that down!!

      Delete
    2. She was fine, but I think they did the needles just in case.

      Delete
  18. Too funny; but I would have been the same way too until I knew the whole story. FB can be both good and evil, I do believe. My son rarely does anything on it so even though I'm his "friend" on it, no updates that would concern me (but I'm still on his bank account so that helps me check in on him :)

    funny FB story; we named our GPS; the first one we had was Stella; named by my dearest friend from Montana who came to visit for a few days a few years back with her then 7-month-old child. Anyway, about a year later Stella "died" (stopped working) so I emailed my friend and let her know because she asked about her in a recent email. Anyway, she posted an update on her FB how sad she was that Stella had died and a few other things about how loyal Stella was, etc. Her MIL wrote a comment and said "I don't think I know Stella, but I am so sorry for your loss". Few other people did the same thing. She finally let everyone know who Stella was :) Like I said FB is good and pure evil :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i know fb can lead to all kinds of misunderstandings---cute story, sorry about stella though--thanks betty!

      Delete
  19. Yep, there are pros and cons to being connected to your kids through all the social sites. Some things, a mom just shouldn't know. :-) I'm debating getting on Pinterest. Do you do that one? I don't need another thing to be addicted to, but it seems to be another avenue for promotion if you want to work towards being published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am on pinterest, mare, although i haven't done much on it lately--i am still unsure how it can work for writers--but i want to look into it more!

      Delete
  20. lol, it's a funny story--now that we know he wasn't bitten, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds exactly like what my mom would do =) awww!
    i have an award for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree! My kids are all grown up, and I still have resisted friending them on Facebook. I'm such a big worrier that it's better if I don't have any chipmunk or bloody toe stories to fret about. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you are right--but now that i am fb friends with them--there is no going back--at least on my part--thanks patricia!

      Delete