Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Yellow squash---can't make enough!!!!

there was a time---I would never have even thought of using frozen squash----but thank goodness I tried it----to me---it's a no brainer----so much faster and really less expensive----the thing you have to make sure of is cooking it long enough-----

I add lots of onion and a small amount of water----tons of pepper and a good bit of salt and garlic salt---

you can do the same with canned but you pretty much have to fry it to make it the way we like it---

there is one advantage as far as I'm concerned to using fresh squash---when you slice it and fry it individually---

as much as my mother had served us squash---it wasn't until one night at my friend Susan's house that I discovered this delectable way of preparing yellow squash---

her mother was simply slicing them in maybe quarter inch pieces--coating them with flour and salt and pepper and then frying them in some vegetable oil----I thought they were the best things I had ever had--I have to admit I rarely make them that way as it is a timely process----especially since everyone will want tons of them----

yellow squash make a wonderful casserole too---perfect for a church pot luck or just at home----just cook your squash before hand--adding eggs---milk or cream---butter---your choice of seasonings and sometimes I add cheese----top with seasoned bread crumbs or crackers----

 
 

14 comments:

  1. I used to hate squash, now I love it! Last night's squash was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robyn -yeah I forgot to tell everyone that I add margarine or butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family used to do the slice, flour and frying way of cooking them too, the only way I'd eat them. I dislike them just stewed. I have discovered brushing them with olive oil and roasting them in the oven makes squash quite tasty too. I like zuchini better than squash, but I think it's the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm never thought about roasting them-thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat zucchini dredged in flour and fried, but never yellow squash. I've only had yellow squash a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all squash Ruth - my grandmother used to make the white squash called pattypan - hers was like a savory candy :)

      Delete
    2. I have never tried it. I have thought about planting some, but wasn't sure I'd like it. I am going to plant spaghetti squash though.

      Delete
  6. Oh that's good -I have seem so many recipes using that-I want to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an old way of frying squash from the mountains of Alabama. Coat sliced squash and onions with cornmeal/flour mixture. Put in oil and fry. Cook like hash browns and not like french fries. You have soft and crispy breading. It is good. The trick is to give the bottom time to brown before any turning. It turns out well but that little bit of patience pays off in quality and patience with it cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious! . . . and I still have squash from my CSA in the freezer. ;-)
    Huzzah! We’ve made it almost to Z! I hope you had fun, read interesting things, and had lots of visitors!
    There will be an A to Z Reflections round on May 4th with a Linky posted on the main blog http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com
    You may post your reflections on the challenge, visit others, and catch up on the blogs you didn't have time to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really haven't visited much but I have enjoyed writing this challenge and writing about something that I am truly interested in-hope you had fun too-thanks Mary :)

      Delete
  9. We get yellow squash and zucchini and saute them together, sometimes with mushrooms :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Betty I went to get some frozen zucchini the other day and they didn't have any/ I would have bet I had seen it the week before :)

      Delete